Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Words Have Power

Ladies and .... more ladies. It's no secret, at least in the twitter and blog aspect of my life, that I'm gay. But it is a secret in my professional life and with the majority of my family. So, like many, I'm forced to bite my tongue and hold back comments when I'd much rather be screaming at the top of my lungs about the problems I see. On that note... I should explain where this whole line of thought is coming from.

My students are currently writing persuasive papers. Because I'm the awesome teacher that I am the kids are getting to pick their own topics to write about. Mostly this is working out well and the kids are getting a chance to write about something that interests them. The problem for me is that I am a rather liberal individual who is currently teaching in a rural, fairly conservative environment. As I've gone through and checked everyone's topic I've seen several that make me cringe internally and several that make me exceptionally proud of my students.  But I've done the responsible thing and held my tongue and kept my political beliefs out of my kids work. 

I have one student who is arguing against Gay Marriage. And let's be honest, I know not everyone agrees with my opinions on the matter and I respect that.  But when my student makes the argument that Gay Marriage is wrong because "it's gross" then I just want to tear the hair out of my head. I can accept people arguing against my view point if they are informed. I can even understand it if they make religious arguments, but when the arguments are so completely uninformed and excessively biased it find it difficult to maintain my subjectivity. I know they're just students, I know they're young and I can't expect them to be fully informed about subjects, but I wish I could. I wish I could expect them to make logical and reasonable arguments. 


I wish I could remind my students that they are making arguments about people's lives. I think they need reminded that their arguments have the power to affect others, that words have power over people. I want to remind my students that even if they disagree with the people they are writing about, they are still human beings. Every person deserves respect. Every statistic, every percentage, each one is a person. They are not just numbers, they are human beings with feelings, with families, with life. My students need to understand the power of their words and I don't think they have any clue. 


Time and time again I have called students out on their use of language that is unacceptable in my class. And I'm not talking about four letter words, I'm talking about the use of the word Gay and the word Retarded. I don't accept those in my class and I will not tolerate them being used in any derogatory form. But my students don't understand how powerful those words can be. I do. I know how many students feel bullied because of the words their classmates used. I know how many students are pushed into depression and towards suicide because their classmates throw around words carelessly without taking into consideration how they affect their classmates. 


How can I let one student make such oblivious arguments against Gay Marriage when I know a student in one of my other classes is arguing for Gay Marriage because of their two mothers.  I can not change my students opinions. I can not force them to believe one way because of how it affects me but I owe my students a safe and welcoming environment. How can I promise that when one student is arguing something that in some way or another threatens the beliefs and safety of another? 


I'm not even sure how I'll be able to grade the one paper without letting my own personal feelings on the matter interfere. I'm doing everything I can to be impartial, I'm the adult, it's my responsibility. But I'm not sure how I'll be able to do. 


How would you protect the voice of one student and perceived sense of safety of another? How would you grade a students paper that so blatantly goes against everything you are and everything you stand for? How can you retain your impartiality, how can I? How can I teach my students everything they need to know for the test and still teach them what they need to know to be successful in their own lives outside of school? 


I've officially asked more questions then I've answered tonight. Sorry. And now it's time to finish watching D.E.B.S. before I fall asleep. Good night my lovelies. <3

1 comment:

  1. You have asked more questions than you answered. But then again doesn't every good teacher?

    ReplyDelete