Tuesday, March 15, 2011

To the future...

This blog is to be read again on December 31st 2021.

Dear Me:

Yes, I realize this from the past. Think of yourself as a time traveler. though that's really not the important part. The important part is what I have to say after this.

I realize the past few months have been busy, I know, you just turned 35 which is scary. And your sister just celebrated her 10 year wedding anniversary. Remember the wedding? How your crazy uncle kept collecting empty beer bottles and putting them at your seat at the head table? By the end of the night it looked like you'd had 3 cases of beer just by yourself.

But really, let's not get too caught up in the memories, I want to remind you of a few things.

1. Remember why you're teaching. Remember how much you love it, how much you enjoy your time with the kids, remember your student teaching and how much the kids made you smile, even when you wanted to throttle them.

2. Remember why you wear fun socks everyday. Remember why there are Hot Wheels and Legos on your desk.

3. Remember what your family means to you. Remember your grandparents. Remember how much they have always loved you. Remember how much they have always been there for you.

4. Don't forget how terrifying it was to begin teaching on your own.

5. May 17th.

6. Don't forget the simple joys, the tweets from a friend, watching Monty Python and Mel Brooks, getting a new action figure.

7. Don't forget the friends that were always there for you.

8. Don't forget what it means to be a friend. Don't forget what it means to stand up for your friends and be there when they needed you.

9. Don't forget what your believe in, don't let others trod over your beliefs.

10. Remember who you are.

11. Remember the comfort of Jersey sheets.

12. Don't forget where your scars are from.

13. Don't forget to laugh. Remember the silly things, like the Exit sign over your closet door. The silly putty next to your bed. Angry Birds and Stair Dismount.

14.Don't get too caught up in new technology or technology in general that you forget the things that are important to you and the things that you love.

15. Don't forget the joys of curling up with a puppy.

- You
March 15, 2011

2 comments:

  1. Here are some things that went through my head:
    *"Thank You for Being a Friend" -Cynthia Fee (The Golden Girls theme song)
    *"Remember who you are." LION KING!

    And then I literally... laughed? no... A half laugh, half... grunt, maybe? came out when I read about the 'Exit' sign over the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of Letter to Me by Brad Paisley. Closets are for clothes! I need to write myself one of these.. but I think writing it would just make me cry at this point in time. Love the joys of curling up with a puppy.. Keelah is always faithful and stays curled up by my side all night, and I just look at her and she looks back up at me like, "hi mommy. Why are you awake?" lol. -hugs-

    ReplyDelete